Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Call for Action

In light of the disastrous financial developments of this week, Sen. John McCain practically called for the firing of Bush-appointed head of the Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Christopher Cox--"If I were president today, I would fire him"--who still has the support of the President, nonetheless.

Now, I'm no economist, but isn't deregulation the root cause here? And thus, the firing of an implementer of policies made possible by it, a hollow call for action?

Sen. Barack Obama, at a a rally in New Mexico, had this to say about McCain's proposal:

"I think that's all fine and good but here's what I think: In the next 47 days you can fire the whole trickle-down, on-your-own, look-the-other way crowd in Washington who has led us down this disastrous path. Don't just get rid of one guy. Get rid of this administration. Get rid of this philosophy. Get rid of the do-nothing approach to our economic problem and put somebody in there who's going to fight for you."


Um, yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

STEPHEN A. SMITH: AN UTTER DISGRACE

From what I understand, ESPN has internal rules about anchors not discussing politics on the air, as well as not broaching the subject publi...