Wednesday, April 28, 2010

By the Time They Come from Arizona

So, Arizona has a new immigration law that, rightfully, has very many folks--especially Hispanics--up in arms about its leading to racial profiling. It has even drawn criticism from such Republicans as Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio.

But while I find this new measure to be quite insidious, I just can't summon the strength to be upset. As with the health care reform--which I felt should only be enacted in those states where the people wanted it, leaving those opposed to fend off the insurance vampires on their own--I find myself willing to simply let people carry on their stupidity so long as it doesn't affect those in my home state.
I'm not proud of this, but I'm tired of fighting the fight against those entrenched in maliciously misguided ideas. I'm truly sorry for the residents of Arizona who would be targeted by this measure, but that's what you get when you live in the belly of a bigoted beast.

One interesting twist is that capricious law enforcement can use this new legal mandate to stop and ask papers of anyone they feel like, regardless of their racial/ethnic appearance, since they could argue the supposed non-bigoted nature of the new law. Hmm...

Pro-Death

South Carolina Republicans want to impose the death penalty on South Carolinian women who seek abortions in another state. You know, because...